Politech mailing list archives

FC: Annalee Newitz on state of cyberliberties on U.S. campuses

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 01:19:08 -0400

---

Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 20:09:21 -0400
From: Annalee Newitz <Annalee () techsploitation com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: electronic privacy on campus

Hi Declan. Here's an article from CNN about the research I recently completed on cyberliberties at the top 50 universities in the United States. I have a small article about it in this month's issue of Wired magazine. To sum up: nearly every one of these universities has a policy stating that if students use the campus network, they will be monitored.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/05/06/hln.wired.cyber.rights/

And here's me talking about it on CNN Headline news:

http://www.vmsdigital.com/MyFiles.aspx?Onum=4B0C1437-AC99-4891-8B29-274C317E70B8

I'd love to see somebody create a wiki where folks could post comments and links to the computer use policies at their colleges/universities. Students need this as a resource.

--
Annalee Newitz
www.techsploitation.com