Politech mailing list archives

FC: Spamcop again blocks legit site, reportedly takes out Tucows

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:42:52 -0500

[Tucows is a domain name registrar that became famous in the 1990s by offering freeware/shareware downloads. The danger here is not that Spamcop is violating its own rules; it almost certainly is not. Its procedures, as I understand them, allow incorrect or malicious allegations of spam to place a site on the Spamcop blacklist. This is not a mistake: Spamcop was intentionally designed to have a hair-trigger better-safe-than-sorry reporting system. That makes it terribly prone to abuse, and Spamcop knows it. Spamcop's designers should have the right to sell such a flawed system, but the rest of us don't need to use it and should advise others against it. --Declan]

---