Politech mailing list archives

FC: Fox News reportedly nastygrams parody "Faux News" site

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:10:21 -0400

---

To: declan () well com
From: Earl Hood <earl () earlhood com>
Subject: Fox sends a cease-and-desist order to site that sells Fox parody site
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:57:10 -0500

<http://www.agitproperties.com/cease.htm>

  FOX NEWS ISSUES CEASE-AND-DESIST TO THE AGITPROPERTIES POSSE
  6/20/2003

  It was, apparently, just a matter of time. Our company, Agitproperties
  LLC,  the Austin progressive counter-propagandists responsible
  for the nationally-famous FAUX NEWS Channel, P.N.N. (Pentagon News
  Network) and Bill O'Reilly Hitler Youth Tee-shirts, has been issued
  a cease-and-desist order by FOX NEWS HQ in New York.

  As you know, we have an huge, unavoidable red and white disclaimer
  clearly stating that our tee-shirts are political parodies and we are
  not connected or endorsed by FOX NEWS in any way. It is on every page
  of the site and takes up a quarter of each page.

  Despite these enormous disclaimers, Chris Silvestri, Senior Media
  Council for Fox News, tells us that, "The Fox News Channel is in no
  way affiliated with the Website and, by creating confusion as to the
  relationship between Fox's programs and the Network, you harm the
  goodwill (goodwill??? Ed.) represented by Fox's program."