Politech mailing list archives

FC: AT&T offers prepaid (anonymous?) Internet service

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:25:22 -0400

[Any reason to think AT&T would *not* be recording caller ID information from their prepaid-dialup users? Even in the absence of possible government pressure, it might be useful as an anti-fraud move. I don't know enough about the phone system to know whether AT&T would have access to ANI (which would give them your number even if you block caller ID). There's also the secondary issue of a prepaid ISP possibly recording URLs you visit and the identities of your email correspondents and preserving those logs in case the FBI or a subpoena-happy divorce lawyer comes visiting... Like other solutions for anonymity, there are many ways your identity can leak. See AT&T's site at: http://www.consumer.att.com/prepaidcard/prepaidinternet/ --Declan]

---