Politech mailing list archives

FC: Stu Baker on Supreme Court's important new trademark decision

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:17:16 -0400

---

From: "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () steptoe com>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>
cc: "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () steptoe com>
Subject: RE: Paul Levy on Supreme Court's important new trademark
 decision
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:25:30 -0400

Declan,

I was counsel of record for Dastar. Paul's analysis is correct. I suspect the Court took the case in part to demonstrate that, the result in Eldred notwithstanding, the public domain is important and will be protected. In the near term, the case's significance is that it overturns twenty years of lower court decisions allowing writers and composers to sue for "creative credit" on films, tv shows, and recordings. In the longer run, there might be implications for aggressive legal efforts to control use of the public domain or even fair use. There's probably an argument based on Dastar that the DMCA can't be used to enforce a technological lock-up of public domain works, for example.

Stewart