Politech mailing list archives

FC: Politech administrivia: Email addresses, spamproofing

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:02:44 -0400

Earlier today I missed a request for spam-proofing in the body of a message when forwarding that post to Politech. I've apologized to the list member for my oversight, and I've removed the email address from the archive.

I'm getting an increasing number of such reqeusts, and it's worth sending out another reminder of the list policy.

Here's my last reminder, from July 2002:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03663.html
If you're sending something to me for posting to Politech and you want to
be anonymous (either for personal reasons or for spam-proofing purposes),
please remember to type "CONFIDENTIAL" in the Subject: line. I may miss a
request for email address deletion if it's in the body of the message.

Again, if I see a request for spam-proofing in the body of the message, I will honor it, but I may miss it so I make no guarantees. So remember to put REMOVEEMAIL or CONFIDENTIAL in the Subject: line!

Also, I'm thinking of ways to spam-proof the Politech archives while making the email addresses human-readable. I use mhonarc to run the Politech web archive -- is anyone familiar with a script that will do it intelligently, perhaps by generating Javascript code? Or I could just write a simple Perl regexp to replace the @ sign in email addresses with another string...

Thanks,
Declan