Politech mailing list archives

FC: Katherine Strandburg on PhD dissertations, Total Info Awareness

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:29:40 -0400

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04944.html

---

Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:12:37 -0500
From: "Katherine Strandburg" <kstrandb () depaul edu>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: FC: "The Department of Homeland Security ate my dissertation..."

Does it occur to anyone that this is just the argument against TIA inverted? As private citizens, we're all concerned about what happens when the government puts together a bunch of publicly availalbe information, because we intuitively feel that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Now the government is saying the same thing, isn't it? As someone who is no fan of TIA and is a fan of folks using public information in their PhD dissertations, I find the analogy thought-provoking.

Katherine J. Strandburg
Assistant Professor of Law
DePaul College of Law
(312) 362-8536