Politech mailing list archives

FC: John "More Guns Less Crime" Lott's Net pseudonym exposed

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:04:34 -0500

[I've always enjoyed what I've read of John Lott's work (though I'm hardly familiar with all of it). Let this be a lesson on the RISKS of static IP addresses and trying to be pseudonymous through IP address obscurity. If you would be embarrassed by what your pseudonym does or says, remember to use a reasonable form of identity-obscuration. For weak pseudonymity that would survive Julian's investigation but not a subpoena, use a different dialup account. For stronger pseudonymity, use a remailer or a public 802.11 node. --Declan]

---