Politech mailing list archives

FC: More ways I could be violating the DMCA by writing this column

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 11:55:28 -0800

[Gerard is an attorney at Wiley Rein & Fielding, who points out even MORE ways I can be liable. Thanks a lot! :) In my column (http://news.com.com/2010-1028-978636.html) Lee Tien points out still another. To answer the folks who said government documents are not password protected and therefore the DMCA does not apply, generally that would be correct. But in this case other MS Word documents that were not password protected on the same web page were prepared by Deloitte Consulting, as I noted in the column. If these documents were also prepared by a contractor, presumably they would be copyrighted and the DMCA would apply. --Declan]

---