Politech mailing list archives

FC: Public Citizen files brief, says WashPost should have ignored Purdy

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:51:28 -0500

[I invite the attorneys for the Washington Post, copied above, to reply. I will forward their response unedited. --Declan]

---

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:18:37 -0500
From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVY () citizen org>
To: <declan () well com>
Cc: <wpurdy () attbi com>, <strahan () pclink com>, <Maya.Alexandri () wilmer com>,
   <PCarome () wilmer com>, <Thomas.Olson () wilmer com>
Subject: Purdy domain name case

Public Citizen has asked US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit to
allow it to file a brief urging it to uphold the initial order issued by
the district court against William Purdy for posting anti-abortion
campaign material online using domain names that incorporate the
trademarks of the Washington Post, Coca-Cola and other companies.  After
thinking long and hard about this situation, and studying the record
carefully, we concluded that Purdy was not using the trademarks in any
fair or appropriate way to post his criticisms of the trademark owners,
but rather was unfairly using their trademarks to call attention to his
views about abortion.  We have argued to the court of appeals that the
injunction should not, however, be affirmed on the broad grounds argued
by the plaintiff companies, but rather on the ground that the specific
uses that Purdy had made of the trademarks through the time of the
injunction were sufficiently abusive to warrant equitable relief.
Therefore, we do not believe that Purdy can properly invoke the sorts of
arguments that we used to win a victory for Hank Mishkoff against
Taubman Company earlier this month.   A copy of the brief is available
on our website at http://www.citizen.org/documents/PurdyAmicusBrief.pdf

That being said, we have grave qualms about whether the plaintiffs in
this case are getting carried away by their outrage at Purdy in their
continued pursuit of some of the domain names that he has registered
more recently.  We see no likelihood whatsoever that any Internet user
is going to type such domain names as WashingtonPostChristian.com or
WashingtonPostJesus.com into their Internet browser and so be misled to
Purdy's anti-abortion websites.    To be sure, these names include the
Post's trademark and do not include critical words, and in that respect
may appear to violate some clauses of the preliminary injunction
(because the injunction applies only to names that are "confusingly
similar" however, the injunction may not actually be violated when read
carefully).  Purdy registered these and many other domain names for the
apparent purpose of testing how far he could go without getting slapped
down.  Once Purdy waved the red blanket in their faces, the Post's
lawyers went after Purdy for using these names, without ever thinking
about whether these names posed any realistic likelihood of diverting
Internet traffic through confusion over source.

In this regard, it is worth noting that last summer, as his controversy
with the Post and Coca-Coca was heating up, Purdy registered several
additional domain names, using the names or acronyms of several
non-profit organizations that support abortion rights, including the
ACLU, the National Organization for Women, and Planned Parenthood, and
Purdy pointed these domain names to his anti-abortion material.  On July
16, you carried a message from Purdy who said he was using those
organizations names because he detested their positions on abortion and
knew that they would not like the content of the websites.
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03764.html. (Interestingly, this
message is in the court record in the case, because at least one of the
Post's lawyers subscribes to your list).

 These groups did not rise to Purdy's bait, but simply ignored him,
although I know for a fact that at least one of those groups was quite
aware of what was happening (if only from your list).  In retrospect, I
have to wonder whether that wasn't the wiser course.  The literature
suggests that it is not unusual for the owners of political web sites to
take advantage of the litigation filed against them to reap more
publicity and more attention for their websites that they would
otherwise attain.  http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1044059430652.
 Have the Post and its lawyers given William Purdy exactly what he
wanted - a load of public attention and the opportunity to be a martyr
for his cause?

I am sending copies of this email to Purdy and to the lawyers for both
sides so that they can respond if they desire to do so.

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009