Politech mailing list archives

FC: Spam Arrest does appear to be resorting to... spamming

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:03:49 -0500

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04454.html

---

From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <suresh () hserus net>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: Is Spam Arrest resorting to... spamming?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:04:10 +0530

On Thursday, February 13, 2003 7:06 PM [GMT+0530=IST],
Declan McCullagh <declan () well com> wrote:

> [Neil has been a reliable contributor to Politech for a while on the
> topic of spam. But naturally I will give Spam Arrest the right of
> reply, and forward unedited any response they choose to provide.
> --Declan]

More than one person has reported receiving this - spamarrest has
apparently sent this letter to _anybody_ who sent mail to a spamarrest
customer.

This repurposing of addresses is blatant optout spam ... none of the
people who sent mail to a spamarrest subscriber should be expected to
receive solicitations from spamarrest.

For what its worth, I was blocking spamarrest's IP as an open relay
(running an antiquated version of CommuniGate Pro) which had relayed
spam to our users, since the past several weeks.

So, none of my users will have got this solicitation from them.

    srs

---

rom: Amos Satterlee <asatterlee () inta org>