Politech mailing list archives

FC: Hillary Clinton suggests a national ID card for U.S. citizens

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:44:04 -0500

---

From: "Singleton, Norman" <Norman.Singleton () mail house gov>
Subject: FW: Hillary calls for national ID
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:14:21 -0500

 http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/2/11/120029

---

   Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2003 11:54 a.m. EST

   Hillary Calls for National ID Card

   Saying that she is strongly opposed to "illegal immigrants," New York
   Sen. Hillary Clinton announced Tuesday that she would support a
   national identification card for U.S. citizens if other measures to
   keep illegals out of the country failed.

   "I am, you know, adamantly against illegal immigrants," Clinton told
   WABC Radio's John Gambling. Then, a few moments later, the Democratic
   Party presidential front-runner added, "We might have to move towards
   an ID system even for citizens."

   Clinton said she would support a national ID card as part of an
   overall effort to improve the U.S.'s national security.

   "Clearly, we have to make some tough decisions as a country," the top
   Democrat warned. "And one of them ought to be coming up with a much
   better entry and exit system so that if we're going to let people in
   for the work that otherwise would not be done, let's have a system
   that keeps track of them."

   [...]