Politech mailing list archives

FC: Defense Dept expert calls for banning info on tricking polygraphs

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:18:15 -0500

---

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:56:27 -0800
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: fwd: Federal Polygrapher Calls for Outlawing Countermeasure Info
Cc: "George W. Maschke" <maschke () ANTIPOLYGRAPH ORG>

Back in the chaos of the [previous, '60's] anti-war movement, I had a neighbor/friend/activist who had to take a polygraph test (don't remember from whom nor why). He studied carefully; took the test ... and passed with flying colors -- even though he was "guilty" as hell (of whatever). He was just an average college dropout; not an experienced or trained professional liar.

Ever since then, I've looked at claims and uses (abuses?!) of polygraph testing with GREAT -- well EARNED! -- distrust ... and certainly understand why their use is (always???) banned in criminal court prosecutions.

Now, a Dept of Defense polygraph expert -- who TEACHES how to mislead a polygraph (thus proving it can be learned and done) -- wants to limit such knowledge only to the elite few. One more step in our dangerously malignant police state ("Patriot" Act, DoD/Poindexter's TIA, "Patriot" II, etc.).

However, thanks to this effort to censor what he teaches to The Chosen Ones, I've heard for the first time (below), of a free e-book that appears to disclose for freedom-lovers (whether we deserve freedom, or not) some/many of the secrets that the DoD ex-spurt seeks to censor.

I just downloaded my copy -- before the thought police prohibit it. Should you?

--jim
Jim Warren; jwarren () well com, technology-related public-policy advocate

[Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Cal.James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award;
Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award (1992, its first year);
Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award (1994);
founded the Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conferences; blah blah blah]

At 4:51 PM +0100 2/25/03, "George W. Maschke" <maschke () ANTIPOLYGRAPH ORG> posted in FOI-L:
Paul M. Menges, the federal polygraph examiner who teaches the countermeasure course at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute has published an article in which he calls for the criminalization of public speech about polygraph countermeasures. His proposal would ban books like AntiPolygraph.org's popular free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. I have written a formal response to Mr. Menges' commentary:

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-029.shtml

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org