Politech mailing list archives

FC: Noah Shachtman: "How I Snuck Into Los Alamos"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:05:06 -0500

---

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:48:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Noah Shachtman <noahmax6000 () yahoo com>
Subject: FC: How I Snuck Into Los Alamos
To: declan () well com

Declan:

I snuck into Los Alamos, the world's top nuclear
research center, over the weekend.   I thought
Politech readers might want to see my story on how I
did it.

I think the article raises serious questions about the
safety of our country's nuclear secrets.  So if group
members could spread the word about this to friends
and colleagues, I'd very much appreciate it.

--

"There are no armed guards to knock out. No sensors to
deactivate. No surveillance cameras to cripple. To

"I should know. On Saturday morning, I slipped into
and out of a top-secret area of the lab while guards
sat, unaware, less than a hundred yards away.

"Despite the nation's heightened terror alert status,
despite looming congressional hearings into the lab's
mismanagement and slack-jawed security, an untrained
person -- armed with only the vaguest sense of the
facility's layout and slowed by a torn Achilles tendon
-- was able to repeatedly gain access to the
birthplace of the atom bomb..."

For details -- and pictures -- click on over to my
Wired News story here:
http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,57792,00.html

Or go to www.wired.com.

Additional items on this story can be found at Defense
Tech (www.defensetech.org OR
defensetech.blogspot.com), my website devoted to
technology and national security issues.

Best,

nms

=====
Noah Shachtman