Politech mailing list archives

FC: Bill Purdy may go to jail today, trademarks WashPostChristian

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 09:37:20 -0500

Some background:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=purdy
http://washingtontimes.com/business/20030201-4235282.htm

The contempt hearing before U.S. District Judge Ann Montgomery begins today at 10 am ET -- in just a few minutes.

-Declan

---

From: "William S. Purdy" <wpurdy () attbi com>
To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
Subject: Fw: copy of Trademark Registration recieved today for "The Washington Post Christian"
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 07:44:16 -0600

William S. Purdy Sr.
1312 Kassan Drive
South Saint Paul, MN 55075
651-451-1312       Fax 651 - 451-2815
email: wpurdy () attbi com

February 3, 2003

Patrick J. Carome
Clifford M. Sloan
Carrie Eure
Maya Alexandri
Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering
2445 M Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037-1420 VIA FAX and email to Feleica Boyd

Felicia Boyd
Faegre $ Benson
2200 Wells Fargo Center
Minneapolis, MN

Dear Madams and Sirs,

I received today from the Minnesota Secretary of State a copy of the filed Certificate of Registration for the trademark name, "The Washington Post Christian". According to the Minnesotan Secretary of State records the Minnesota Trademark Registration for the name "The Washington Post Christian" is registered to the non-profit organization The Washington Post Christian, the non-profit corporation Please Don't KILL Your Baby, Inc., and to me the individual, William S. Purdy. I serve as President for both the non-profit organization The Washington Post Christian, and the non-profit corporation Please Don't KILL Your Baby, Inc. You and your clients are hereby on notice that I and the non-profit organization The Washington Post Christian and the non-profit corporation Please Don't KILL Your Baby, Inc. are the legally registered owners of the name "The Washington Post Christian", and any use by your clients is prohibited, including use in a domain name. You and your clients are hereby on notice that I and the non-profit organization The Washington Post Christian and the non-profit corporation Please Don't KILL Your Baby, Inc. are also the legal owners of the United States (Federal) and the Minnesota (state) common law trademark for the name "The Washington Post Christian", and any use of that name by your clients is strictly forbidden, including use in a domain name. The Federal Trademark Registration for the name "The Washington Post Christian" will be filed shortly with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Yours truly,
William S. Purdy, Sr.

---