Politech mailing list archives

Why freedom can't be preserved by ending anonymity [fs][priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:12:44 -0500

[The proper term for what Lessig was suggesting (at least if the Economist article was correct) is identity escrow. The idea is that a trusted third party will hold the truename of the speaker or publisher and divulge it when certain predefined circumstances are met, such as a subpoena arriving. (This is not a new concept. A Google search turns up about 1,000 hits for the phrase.) There are obvious objects to this idea, a close cousin to 1990s-vintage key escrow, when it is used as a kind of "Internet drivers license." First, the identity database becomes a target for thieves, social engineers, and malicious hackers. Second, governments will seek to subvert its published procedures and obtain backdoor access. Third, it is not easily enforced in a global Internet where accounts can be created with a one-line command (like /usr/sbin/adduser). Fourth, U.S. legal precedents recognize constitutional protections for anonymous speech. --Declan]

---