Politech mailing list archives

FC: Verified: Australian minister wants to restrict WTO protest sites

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:18:58 -0400

Previous Politech message:

"Australian minister allegedy wants WTO protest sites restricted"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04030.html

---

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/25/1032734207559.html

NSW seeks to shut down protest sites

   Sydney
   September 25 2002

   NSW Police Minister Michael Costa has asked the Federal Government to
   shut down websites with instructions to disrupt a World Trade
   Organisation (WTO) meeting in Sydney.

   Mr Costa said yesterday he was deeply concerned about the websites
   which provided information to violently disrupt the WTO Trade
   Ministers meeting in November.

   "I support the community's right to peaceful, lawful protest but it's
   clear to me comments and information on these sites are designed to
   incite violence against NSW Police, who will be providing security at
   the meeting," he said. "These people have gone too far."

   [...]