Politech mailing list archives

FC: Bush releases "National Security Strategy" -- no Internet mention

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:45:32 -0700

Is it just me or does this document seem a little strange:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/nss.pdf

There's no mention of the Internet, cybersecurity, or even "information warfare." Coming just two days after the highly-touted "cybersecurity strategy" (http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.pdf), this could be seen as a rebuke to Clarke's handling of it. Or perhaps Wednesday's report was seen as simply irrelevant.

Remember how the Clarke draft report talked up the topic: "Cyberspace is essential to both homeland security and national security; its security and
reliability support the economy, critical infrastructures, and national
defense."

If it's so essential, then why isn't it part of the official National Security Strategy? That document talks about agricultural aid, public health threats like AIDS, and improving third world literacy rates -- you'd think "cybersecurity" might rate a mention.

-Declan

---

                        THE WHITE HOUSE

                         Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                         September 20, 2002

                        STATEMENT BY THE PRESS SECRETARY

Today President Bush submitted to Congress the National Security Strategy of the
United States as required by the Goldwater-Nichols Defense Department
Re-Organization Act of 1986.  The president's national security strategy
reflects the union of our values and our national interest.  This strategy
states that the safety and security of America is the first and fundamental
commitment of the our government.

America must always stand for and protect the universal values on which it was
founded.  To this end, President Bush makes clear that the United States will
use its position of strength and influence in the world to defend, preserve, and
extend the peace.

The full text of the National Security Strategy can be accessed at
www.whitehouse.gov.

                                      ###