Politech mailing list archives

FC: Karin Spaink: My house was raided by police because of Scientology

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:50:36 -0400

---

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:47:37 +0200
From: Karin Spaink <kspaink () xs4all nl>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
CC: Zenon Panoussis <oracle () xs4all nl>
Subject: My house got raided: Scientology and the prosecutor

Hi Declan

On Thursday, September 12, I got raided. Two uniformed cops,
two criminal investigators from the copyright protection
organsiation Buma/Stemra, and two members of the Diguital
Expertise division of the Amsterdam police were at my
doorstep, armed with a search warrant and a power to take
away all computers in the house.

I was informed that, through their lawyer's offices (Nauta
Dutilh), the Church of Scientology had filed 'a number of
complaints' about Zenon Panoussis (who is my lover),
spreading copyrighted material from his computer (which is
located at my house) or perhaps from mine.

We negotiated about the search. Yes, surely they could take
the computers, but without our assistance that would be
useless since we use encryption. On the other hand, them
taking the computers would be pretty annoying for us as
well: all our work, mail and private data is stored on them.
In the end we all agreed that they would search the
computers on the premises and that we would co-operate as
best as we could.

It transpired that they did not know what *exactly* they
were looking for: which documents? what spreading? The
machines were portscanned to see whether any ftp servers or
webservers were running from here, we showed them all
services running, they went through mail and archives,
browsed files and directories, in short, they investigated
everything.

All they found were a few copies of documents that are
probaly copyrighted by the CoS that I need for my own
defense and/or Zenon for his (both of us are being sued by
Scientology; actually, a ruling in the appeal in my case had
been expected on Sept. 5 but was postponed).

After 2,5 hours they left empty-handed. (Well, not
completely: I gave them copies of the t-shirt with a nice
cartoon and an OT3 quote that I had given to friends and
supporters for one of my court sessions. I still had a few
of them.)

Only today, Monday Sept. 16, we learned that the prosecutor
who had signed the search warrant didn't know the details of
the complaint and that the criminal investigators of the
copyright office had had only a *complaint* from
Scientology, but he had not received, *nor had he asked*,
*any* material to substantiate this claim. Alex Woord of
Buma/Stemra literally told us this morning that he would
make an appointment with Nauta Dutilh this week to look at
the evidence that they claim to have.

Basically, that means

- that I was raided on the grounds of an uninvestigated
  claim, and that moreover, I was raided before the
  complainant's claim was investigated;
- that I was raided to prove or disprove a complaint that
  the proesecutor himself hadn't assessed the scope of;
- that the prosecutor signed a search warrant and a power to
  break my door and to take my computer on the basis of a
  mere *claim* of a third party,
- moreover a third party who is suing me and Panoussis;
- and most of all, a third party who is know for abusing the
  legal system to intimidatee and harass its opponents.

Meanwhile, we have contacted a lawyer. We think we might
need one.

Here are two postings by Zenon; one about the raid and about
today's discussion with the prosecuyotor and the copyright
investigator:

                   === fwd 1 ===