Politech mailing list archives

FC: Sept. 11, a year later

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:19:39 -0400

From the Politech archives, one year ago today:

Terrorists attack World Trade Center and Pentagon
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02498.html

Firsthand reports from NYC and Washington DC after attacks
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02500.html

SiliconValley.com's compillation of photos, coverage of attack
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02502.html

NYC network problems after 9-11, and how providers are responding
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02507.html

-Declan

---

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=0QGCYHI5SHQN4CRBAELCFFA?type=politicsnews&StoryID=1428730
Reuters
   Families of Sept. 11 victims criticized President Bush for
   eroding civil rights in the U.S. war on terror, and said
   they believed airport security was no better than a year
   ago.

---

http://news.com.com/2010-1071-957381.html?tag=fd_nc_1

   Ensuring privacy's post-attack survival
   By Jeffrey Eisenach and Peter Swire
   September 11, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

   The bill to create the new Department of Homeland Security is now
   before the Senate. The new Department, once created, will enhance the
   federal government's ability to collect and use information about
   American citizens--or in today's favorite catch phrase, to "connect
   the dots."

   But which dots will be connected, by whom and for what purpose? Here
   is a sample quiz for you to consider:

   o  First, imagine a program in which the federal government trains
   mail carriers and utility workers to look for possible terrorist
   activities in the homes and neighborhoods where they work, and report
   to a centralized database. Is this a common sense updating of
   Neighborhood Watch or the creation of an informant society?

   [...]

---