Politech mailing list archives

FC: Sysadmins reply to Politech to defend Earthlink's anti-spam rules

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:38:26 -0400

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03959.html

---

From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <suresh () hserus net>
To: <declan () well com>, <politech () politechbot com>
Cc: <annalee () techsploitation com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:14:39 +0800

declan () well com (Declan McCullagh) [Saturday, September 07, 2002 1:11 PM]:

First: I don't work for Earthlink, or speak for them.  However, I do work
for a rather large ISP as their postmaster and abuse admin, and have
interacted extensively with their abuse staffers, several of whom I have the
highest professional respect for.

Annalee Newitz <brainsploitation () yahoo com> writes:

> Hey Declan. Readers may be interested in this story
> about Earthlink's (lack of) policy related to whose
> mail servers they block and why. A large subculture

Lack of?  The word "open relay" sounds perfectly clear to me.

Please do take a look at http://www.mail-abuse.org/tsi/ to see what an open
relay means and why administrators block open relays (like the fact that a
single spammer pumping out spam through an open relay can easily send out
FAR more mail - all of it junk - than the rest of that server's users send
out in a week).

Also, Earthlink issues a much more verbose 5xx error than most.

550-EarthLink's inbound mail servers do not allow mail from your site.
550-Please contact your ISP to find out how to send e-mail using a
550-proper mail server.  If you are an EarthLink customer, and need
550-assistance configuring your e-mail software, please contact
550-EarthLink's technical support department at 1-800-EARTHLINK.
550-Server administrators that feel they are being blocked in error
550 may send e-mail to OpenRelay () Corp EarthLink Net for assistance.

> list in San Francisco was blocked because an obscure
> security hole in their servers came up as an "open
> relay" when Earthlink hacked (erm, "scanned") their
> mail server. Raises some interesting questions about
> free speech.

Hm... the wording used in the article Ms. Newitz quoted (and, most likely,
wrote as well) is

>> By hacking into his servers (erm, I mean "auditing")
>> and attempting to relay mail through them

Is that "auditing" word supposed to be a dig at something in Earthlink's
background or history? [google google] Ah.  Yes, I think my guess was right.
Speaking for myself, I believe that discussion of the entity associated with
the word "auditing" is not really germane to what appears to be an instance
of earthlink's long standing policy of blocking open relays, so I will not
get sidetracked by that word.

Please note that most ISPs around the world block open relays, and in
several cases, actively search for open relays (that is, if you connect to
their mailservers to send mail, and maybe that mail also  matches a
heuristic like say "mail from hotmail.com - but not originating through a
hotmail.com server")

If Ms. Newitz will give me the actual IP of the blocked mailserver, I'll be
happy to verify for her (and the readers of politech) as to whether it is an
open relay or not.  That will, unfortunately, also have the side effect of
getting that IP blocked from the ~ 30 million users for whom we serve mail -
so that might not be an option :)

So she, or the laughingsquid admin, can try sites like
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html or just telnet to
relay-test.mail-abuse.org - these sites are run by people with a long and
respected history in the fight against spam, fwiw.  A much more
comprehensive tester script by Ronald F. Guilmette is available at
http://www.monkeys.com/mrt/

Finally - yes, I understand why people used to have open relays in the late
80s and early 90s - where providing an open relay was a courtesy, given
patchy interconnectivity and routing.  Anyone in the last 4 years who has
configured a mailserver to be an open relay, given that just about every
mailserver in the world these days ships CLOSED to third party relay by
default, might want to get some refresher courses in mail systems
administration.

    -srs

ps - Please feel free to publish this on politech if you see fit to do so.

---

declan () well com (Declan McCullagh) [Saturday, September 07, 2002 1:11 PM]:

> mail servers they block and why. A large subculture
> list in San Francisco was blocked because an obscure
> security hole in their servers came up as an "open
> relay" when Earthlink hacked (erm, "scanned") their

Hmm... just how squid8.laughingsquid.net's admin managed to configure
_qmail_ (widely regarded as one of the most secure mailservers on earth)
into an open relay, I really don't know ...

    -srs