Politech mailing list archives

FC: Missouri AG launches don't-spam-me list, no effect predicted

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:36:45 -0500

---

From: "Robert Helmer" <roberthelmer () earthlink net>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Missouri Attorney General Launches No Spam List
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:13:01 -0600

Declan, you'll like this. The St. Louis Post_Dispatch is today
reporting the plan of our Missouri Attorney General to create a
statewide spam opt out list. As the Post says:

"Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon and two legislators announced a
plan to make unwanted e-mails -- known as spam -- illegal in the same
way that the state already has put a stop to millions of unwanted
telephone calls: through a No-Call Law.

"The anti-spam law would ban unsolicited electronic mail for the
purpose of encouraging the purchase, rental or investment in property,
goods or services. Exempted would be responses to someone else's
e-mail and e-mail from someone with whom you have an on-going business
relationship.

"Missourians would put their e-mail address on an anti-spam list kept
by Nixon's office. The attorney general already operates the No-Call
list.

"Violators could be fined $5,000."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/3DA2D7BFF012BA9086256C7E006CDB67?OpenDocument&Headline=Plan+would+make+'spam'+illegal

Hmmmm.... anyone want to take bets on the efficacy of the plan?

Bob Helmer
Daily Rotation (Headlines from 175+ Tech Sites)
http://www.dailyrotation.com
Shell Extension City (Cutting Edge Software)
http://www.shellcity.net
Project Geek (Web Hosting)
http://www.projectgeek.net
St. Louis, Missouri