Politech mailing list archives

FC: Nigerian newspaper's excuse for mob riots: "The computer did it!"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:18:34 -0500

More coverage:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/africa/11/22/nigeria.missworld/index.html

---

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:51:08 -0800 (PST)
From: herror <blackmarkets () yahoo com>
Subject: not so smart mobs
To: doctorow () craphound com, declan () well com

Cory, Declan,

     The Miss World Riots- "smart" mob inspired?
     Stupid, murderous mobs can use tech too.
     From http://allafrica.com/stories/200211220347.html

Ironically, the blasphemous story published against the prophet has
tended to unite the nation's muslims who have not only been unanimous
in their condemnation of the story, but have also been sending
solidarity text messages on their GSM phones to alert one another on
the blasphemy since last Sunday.

AbdulHameed Daramola, a Lagos Muslim told Weekly Trust that he alone
alerted over seventy Muslims across the country about the blasphemy
through text messages on his GSM since last Sunday when he became aware
of the issue.

     Also check out the groveling apoplogy from the Newspaper that
"blasphemed".  They're using "the computer did it" defense in their
desperation.  http://www.thisdayonline.com/news/20021122rec01.html

The supervising editor made an attempt to remove the offensive portion
during the editing process. But we must say that this time, technology
failed us, and gravely too

...We have learnt that we cannot always rely on technology, and that we
have to do more to improve our processes so we can continue to pursue
the path of truth and reason. Ours is a public trust. We do not, and
will not take our responsibility for granted.

May the Almighty Allah, the God of infinite wisdom, continue to guide
us aright. Ma-Assalam, and Ramadan Kareem.

                          best,
                          tom brennan phila pa
                          http://agendabender.blogspot.com/

=====