Politech mailing list archives

FC: Runner's World and LetsRun.com reply to Politech on deep linking

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:24:12 -0400

A few observations:
1. It is polite to link to the ad-bedecked version of the article if it is stable and available. 2. If a stable version of an ad-bedecked page is absent but an ad-free version is available, it is reasonable to link to the ad-free version. (The existence of a stable runnersworld.com ad-bedecked page, at least until very recently, is in dispute here.) 3. It is near-trivial to configure a modern web server to grep the Referer: field and refuse deep links, even to the granularity of redirecting all visitors from LetsRun.com to the runnersworld.com home page. 4. Even if it is impolite to link to an ad-free version of a page, such rudeness does not rise to the level of legal wrongdoing. It is inappropriate for a publisher to threaten legal action against deep linking; it is a mean and spurious threat. 5. This case may be an example of a young, clue-impaired associate at a law firm being too eager. Allen Tullar, esq. certainly didn't know what he was talking about in his demand letters. (http://www.letsrun.com/2002/legalletters.htm) If Runner's World were to admit that Allen was far too hasty, I'm certain that LetsRun.com would be gracious and link to an ad-replete version of the article in question.

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03526.html

Politech archive on deep linking:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=linking