Politech mailing list archives

FC: Daniel Pearl video back online after FBI legal threats

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:34:22 -0400

   Besieged ISP Restores Pearl Vid
   By Declan McCullagh

   11:50 a.m. May 28, 2002 PDT
   WASHINGTON -- The unedited video of journalist Daniel Pearl being
   murdered is back online.

   An Internet hosting company in Virginia, which the FBI threatened last
   week with federal obscenity charges, said on Monday afternoon that it
   would resume distribution of the horrific 4-minute video.

   Pro Hosters owner Ted Hickman said he and his customer, ogrish.com,
   decided to thumb their nose at the bureau's warnings for two reasons:
   A realization that the FBI's threats were spurious, and the legal aid
   of the American Civil Liberties Union.

   "We have decided to take the hot seat in this position, mainly because
   we and ogrish.com believe strongly in freedom of speech and freedom of
   press and the First Amendment," Hickman said. "It's definitely
   something that I think people should be able to view if they choose
   to."

   Last week, FBI agents from the Newark field office contacted a number
   of hosting companies, including Pro Hosters. After consulting with his
   customer -- ogrish.com owner Dany Klinker, who lives in the
   Netherlands -- Hickman deleted the video showing the 38-year-old Wall
   Street Journal reporter being slain in Pakistan by a radical Muslim
   group.

   [...]