Politech mailing list archives

FC: Mirror of Paul Trummel's embattled website is available

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:29:55 -0400

[If any other Politech members have set up mirrors, I will dutifully forward, though it may have to wait until I get back from Moscow. --Declan]

---

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:10:39 -0400
From: Vicki Richman <vicric () vicric com>
To: politech () politechbot com
Subject: Paul Trummel

Paul Trummel has been released from prison.

But.

He must return to court on Friday, June 21, 2002, to show
cause that he may remain free.

The Seattle county court's decision is fascinating reading.
I don't necessarily agree with the judge, Jim Doerty, but he
is very convincing. He only touches on the distinction
between a freelancer and a working reporter for an
established paper.  Citing Justice Potter Stewart in 1974,
Doerty says that the First Amendment may indeed make that
distinction, by using the term "the press" in addition to
"speech."

However, Doerty then rules that any such distinction, if it
exists, is irrelevant. If Paul had been a bureau chief for
the NY Times, he would still be in jail for what he is
alleged to have done. That is not true. Paul was in jail for
publishing personal data on his perceived foes. The Times
published both Al Sharpton's and my home addresses (well,
forty years apart) with impunity.

What about credit-reporting agencies? Why aren't they in
jail? Is that because they limit access to fee-payers, while
Paul gave access to all?

A New York tenants' union recently picketed a landlord's
private home, a greater invasion than a list of home
addresses on an obscure Web page. Protecting the picketers,
the police ignored the landlord's protests.

Anyway, here is the decision:

http://www.metrokc.gov/kcsc/rulings/trummel_v_mitchell.htm

Here is the URL that is largely responsible for Paul's
imprisonment:

http://contracabal.org/801-09.htm

It was still up at the time I sent this message.

I have mirrored that page on my site, as a protest against
Paul's imprisonment, but I have disabled it while Paul is
free. If Paul returns to jail, you may view my mirror at:

http://vicric.com/trummel/

Solidarity,
--
Vicki Richman