Politech mailing list archives

FC: Harvey Silverglate on TIPS-informing, obstruction of justice

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:51:55 -0400

---

From: "Harvey A. Silverglate" <has () world std com>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: Brad Templeton on DOJ "TIPS" informant plan: Operation  TIPS-TIPS
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:58:47 -0400

Declan
        I find Brad Templeton's proposal for dealing with the DOJ "TIPS" program
ingenious, even patriotic. But it has one flaw. The Ashcroft DOJ, and the
Rehnquist Supreme Court, would likely consider such a response to be
"obstruction of justice" or worse. After all, Ashcroft had the nerve to tell
the Senate and the American people that civil libertarians' criticism of the
Administration's anti-terrorism program, with "phantoms of lost liberty,"
gives aid to the enemy -- a virtual accusation of treason. Do not think I'm
saying this in jest. The DOJ, or individual federal agents or prosecutors,
have in the past deemed it to be "obstruction of justice" for a bank to tell
a customer that his/her records have been subpoenaed, or for a citizen to
warn another citizen that a "bug" has been installed, or even for someone to
tear-out and destroy a bug planted in his own house or car! Former CIA
agents have been accused of this-and-that for being whistleblowers. It is
not so easy, nor risk-free, for citizens to fight back. That's all part of
the new official terror being invoked in order to fight terror.
                                                        Harvey Silverglate

---