Politech mailing list archives

FC: Photos from geektivists disrupting Commerce Dept. roundtable

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:14:50 -0400

Photos are here:
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/commerce-drm-rountable-july02.html

This one of Richard Stallman turned out well:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-23/richard-stallman-and-flag.html

More on roundtable:
http://www.ta.doc.gov/PRel/ma020710.htm

---

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-944668.html?tag=politech

   Tech activists protest anti-copying
   By Declan McCullagh

   July 17, 2002, 5:55 PM PT
   WASHINGTON--Enthusiasts of free software disrupted a Commerce
   Department meeting Wednesday, insisting on their right to debate the
   entertainment industry over anti-copying technologies.

   About a dozen vocal tech activists in the audience challenged
   speakers, including Jack Valenti, head of the Motion Picture
   Association of America (MPAA), who equated piracy with theft and
   applauded digital rights management.

   "I'm going to accord you the utmost respect," Valenti said. "I'm going
   to listen to you, but let me finish...The first thing we ought to
   exhibit is good manners."

   The activists, mostly from New Yorkers for Fair Use, interrupted
   Valenti with hoots and jeers from the back of the room until the
   former presidential aide offered them the chance to reply.

   [...]