Politech mailing list archives

FC: Orin Kerr defends USA Patriot Act: "The Big Brother That Isn't"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:18:24 -0400

[Orin is a former Justice Department prosecutor who worked in the computer crime section. Now he's at George Washington University. --Declan]

From: "Orin Kerr" <okerr () law gwu edu>
To: declan () well com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:40:46 -0500
Subject: Patriot Act article, cybercrime list

Declan,

Here are two items politechbot readers may want
to know about.

First, a draft copy of my forthcoming law review
article on the USA Patriot Act has been posted at
http://ssrn.com/abstract_id=317501 .   The article
is called "Internet Surveillance Law After the USA
Patriot Act: The Big Brother That Isn't", and
explains why I think the Patriot Act is not the
Orwellian law some have suggested.  An edited
version of the article will appear in the
Northwestern University Law Review in early
2003.   (To download the full article, scroll down
and click on the "click here to download
document" button.)

Second, I'm opening up my cybercrime case
update list to the public.  Whenever a new
computer crime case is decided, I write an email
to listmembers explaining the case and (usually)
offering some commentary.  I've been doing this
for a few months now, and the current
listmembers are mostly law professors and
prosecutors.  Politechbot members are welcome
to join as well.  To join the list, or to view the
archives, visit
hermes.circ.gwu.edu/archives/cybercrime.html

Regards,
Orin

Orin S. Kerr
Associate Professor