Politech mailing list archives

FC: Judge says secret key logger evidence is OK in Scarfo trial

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:50:50 -0500

My article on Judge Politan's decision:
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,49455,00.html

The decision itself:
http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/fed/html/scarfo2.html-1.html

Politech archive on Scarfo case:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=scarfo

Jack is a criminal defense lawyer who works with the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

-Declan

---

Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:32:19 -0500
From: Jack King <jns-jking () home com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: Stupid judicial keylogging decision

The judge in the Nicky Scarfo, Jr., gambling case decided that the government's keystroke interception technology was too sensitive to be made public.

I'm attaching a link to a letter rejected by the Washington Post last August after the judge agreed to hear evidence on the technology -- without the defendant or his lawyers present, what's called an "in camera proffer."

http://www.crimelynx.com/kingcomment.html

I may have a technical fact or two screwed-up, but this stuff isn't "secret" as readers of PoliTech know.

Yrs., etc,

-- Jack
 Jack King
 gjk () well com
 jns-jking () home com
 "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachments
  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."

                          --Justice Louis Brandeis
                          Olmstead v. United States (1928) (dissent)