Politech mailing list archives

FC: The good guys win one: Unicom foiled in noisome trademark lawsuit

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:46:10 -0500

Previous Politech message:

Veteran unicom.com owner sued by firm with new Unicom trademark
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02999.html

---

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:08:03 -0800
To: declan () well com
From: "James S. Tyre" <jstyre () jstyre com>
Subject: Re: FC: Veteran unicom.com owner sued by firm with new Unicom trademark

Declan:

I'm pleased to tell you that we have an early victory in Unicom v. Rosenthal.

There are plenty of things wrong with the Complaint, including the substance of Plaintiff's trademark claims. But what was most wrong about it was that it was filed here in Los Angeles, when Plaintiff knew that Chip lives in Austin, and has no meaningful ties to California.

Yesterday, the Court entered its order dismissing the Complaint for lack of personal jurisdiction. Chip has the Order up at http://save.unicom.com/docs/20020204-order.pdf. Obviously, we don't know yet if Plaintiff will appeal, drop the matter, refile in Austin or follow some other path, but getting the case out of the wrong court is, at the least, a very positive step.

-Jim

James S. Tyre                               mailto:jstyre () jstyre com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net