Politech mailing list archives

FC: US News' Dana Hawkins on DNA "biorepositories"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:29:11 -0500

---

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:17:08 -0500
To: declan () well com
From: dana hawkins <dhawkins () usnews com>
Subject: DNA banks

Hi declan. Here's something that may be of interest to politech readers...

Ever leave your coffee cup in the cafeteria, lick an envelope, or toss out chewing gum?

If so, your DNA sample might be analyzed and stored somewhere. it's part of a quietly growing new phenomenon: poorly regulated "biorepositories." Already there's talk of a national DNA databank which would dramatically aid genetic research and crime investigations.

Here's the link to my inside coverstory in issue dated Dec. 2nd: "As DNA banks multiply, who's guarding the safe?"
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021202/misc/2dnabanks.htm
and the news you can use sidebar: "Sample questions"
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021202/misc/2dnabanks.b.htm

For more of my articles on the ethical, social and legal issues surrounding technology, go to:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/tech/teprivacy.htm

Best,
Dana Hawkins

Dana Hawkins, Senior Editor