Politech mailing list archives

FC: SpamCop targets another rival: Despammed.com's free service

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:38:20 -0500

Previous Politech message:
"More nuttiness: SpamCop intentionally blocks anti-spam service"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04259.html

More background:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=spamcop

---

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:48:02 -0500
From: Michael <michael () despammed com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: Re: FC: More nuttiness: SpamCop intentionally blocks anti-spam service

He's periodically blocked Despammed.com, too (yes, another free-service competitor). For over a month I couldn't even get comments as to why, until I started copying SpamCop on my customers' complaints and telling them all that, like MAPS, SpamCop seems more interested in market share than in fighting spam. Corporate corruption of the worst kind.

As it turned out, it was interaction of overzealous reporting on the part of my own Italian (i.e. non-English-speaking) users with some oddities in the way I handle my DNS setup. But -- this is significant -- whereas *I* (or any ethical person) would have set up some special code to exempt an odd setup, once I knew what the situation is, SpamCop's administrators categorically refused to vary their rigid code for the convenience of anyone but themselves. And some of the logic they use to label people as spam-enabling is highly suspect, if there is no intent to intervene when it turns out that the rules are insufficent to describe reality.

I can't say enough nasty things about SpamCop. My ISP is still worried about reports they get. I'm a free spam filtration service, for cryin' out loud! How much less spam-friendly can you get? I don't even charge people for the service even though I kill roughly a million spam messages in the course of three months or so! And I used to think Julian was a kind of cool guy, too.

Michael Roberts
Despammed.com