Politech mailing list archives

FC: Request for articles for "Civil Liberties and Criminal Defense"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:06:08 -0500

---

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:22:06 -0800
From: "Jordan" <editor () criminaldefense com>
To: declan () well com

Hello Declan,

On the off chance that your listees might be potential editorial contributors to our '03 debut issue dealing with "Civil Liberties and Criminal Defense," may I paste
in our call for contributions? Let me know if there's something you might like
to contribute as well.

Best, Jordan

Dear Friends of the Constitution!

We very much share your concerns about the shredding of the Constitution and the increasingly unfortunate nature of the diminishment of civil liberties (and criminal defense) under the guise of the war
against terrorism.

—How on earth have we reached a point at which two American citizens can be held incommunicado without
right to an attorney? Or the right to know the evidence against them?

—How is that an American attorney (Lynne Stewart) is facing 40 years in prison for "providing material support to terrorists," by merely defending the interests of her client, who is in prison, and with whom all her conversations have been monitored by the Dept. of Justice? WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE?

—Are the lower courts often defending the Constitution, while the higher courts are more often siding with the Justice Dept (as legal writer Jennifer Van Bergen found in an article published in CriminalDefense Weekly and truthout.org)?

—What prevents the "terrorist" provisions of the PATRIOT and/or Homeland Security Act(s) from rolling over (eventually) to random criminal felons? Just as California's "three strikes" legislation was voted in as strict punishment against three "serious and violent felonies," but later prosecutors were making the third strike merely a "serious" felony, opting at times to make wobblers like shoplifting the third strike—just as we saw that kind of abuse on the government side, what would stop federal officials from taking advantage of these anti-terrorist provisions and applying similar
methods and punishments to American felons?

Is there a feature article, a how-to, or an op-ed column you would like to write for our "Civil Liberties and Criminal Defense" forum due out January 15? Please consider this and let me know. Deadline for receipt is Friday, Jan. 3.

Best, Jordan

Jordan Elgrably, Editor
CriminalDefense.com
Publishers of CriminalDefense Weekly (1st & 15th of the month)
and CriminalDefense Review (Quarterly digest of CriminalDefense Weekly)
"Crime, Punishment and the Constitution"
818/461-0937 ph.
818/461-0939 fx.
editor () criminaldefense com
12400 Ventura Blvd., Ste. 378