Politech mailing list archives

FC: Is Rep. Boucher's online-music licensing bill constitutional?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:52:42 -0400

********

From: "Jeffrey Mazzella" <jmazzella () cfif org>
To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: Compulsory Licensing of Music on the Internet
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:44:50 -0400

Declan --

CFIF recently commissioned a paper (link below) entitled, "Taking" Away Music Copyrights, in response to the introduction of the Music Online Competition Act, introduced by Reps. Boucher and Cannon. The Paper asks the question: Does compulsory licensing of music on the Internet violate the Fifth Amendment s Takings Clause? We believe a substantive argument can be made that it does.

While the Constitution grants to Congress the authority to protect copyrights as a property right through Article I and the Fifth Amendment, compulsory licensing, although providing some compensation to copyright holders, destroys one s right to negotiate terms for the use of intellectual property. In addition, Congress should resist its temptation to intervene in the private marketplace for intellectual property rights by imposing compulsory licensing that discourages private negotiation and inhibits the development of marketplace solutions.

To read the paper, click on: <http://www.cfif.org/5_8_2001/Free_line/current/free_line_copyright.htm>http://www.cfif.org/5_8_2001/Free_line/current/free_line_copyright.htm

I believe the politechbot list might find it interesting.

Regards,

Jeffrey Mazzella
Vice President, Legislative Affairs
Center for Individual Freedom