Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on campaign finance laws creating media loophole for groups

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:42:30 -0400

*********

From: Randy May <rmay () pff org>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: Will campaign finance laws transform think tanks into media o
        rgs?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 17:01:30 -0400

Declan- On the subject of campaign finance reform, here's a column I wrote
about a month ago about why the McCain-Feingold style proposals stifle free
speech. Relative to Andrew's point, I argued that the speech of independent
groups (including think tanks)is no less important than the speech of the
New York Times or Washington Post editorial writers who advocate speech bans
for others.  And calling the others "special interests" does not make their
speech (necessarily) any less valuable than that of the organized press that
prefers to think of itself as representing the "public interest".  The real
public interest, of course, is just having more, rather than less,
unfettetted speech.

Cheers,
Randy

http://www.pff.org/RandysPOVsinLegalTimes/MaysPOV080801.htm

Randolph J. May
Senior Fellow and Director of Communications Policy Studies
The Progress & Freedom Foundation
1301 K Street, NW
Suite 550 East
Washington, DC 20005