Politech mailing list archives

FC: Replies to "When anyone can publish, who's a journalist now?"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 20:03:17 -0400

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02445.html

**********

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:09:38 -0400
From: Vicki Richman <vicric () vicric com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Trummel v. Mitchell: 1st Amendment Issue

Declan, this is not an electronic issue, but Trummel
v. Mitchell, in Washington State, goes to the heart of a
question raised on politech: Who is a "legitimate"
journalist?

See:

http://www.contracabal.org/806-00.html

Briefly, Paul Trummel, a retired journalist from Britain,
with impeccable credentials, discovered what he believed to
be fraud and abuse in the management of his moderate-income
retirement home. He published leaflets and distributed them
to his neighbors.

The management got an order of protection against him,
effectively banning him from his home and preventing him
from approaching his neighbors. He argued freedom of the
press, but the judge ruled that he was not a journalist, as
he was retired and not employed by any "legitimate"
publication.

Therefore, the judge held, he lacked protection of the First
Amendment and was guilty of harassment.

In trying to get the order rescinded, Trummel has a pro bono
attorney and an amicus brief by the ACLU. He'd like
political civil-libertarian support, as well as financial
contributions for his attorney.

Solidarity,
--
Vicki Richman