Politech mailing list archives

FC: Reason's C. Young: Encryption is "scary," put up with surveillance

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:16:16 -0400

http://www.reason.com/cy/cy092401.html

   September 24, 2001
   Civil liberties may take a hit
   By Cathy Young

   [...]

   The movements of foreign visitors will be scrutinized more closely.
   Perhaps most alarming to many civil libertarians, it's likely that the
   government will expand its ability to monitor electronic mail, which
   has been a controversial issue for some time.

   Do I like the idea of the government intercepting e-mail? No. But, as
   long as there's judicial oversight and due process, that's no
   different from its longstanding power to intercept regular mail.

   Do I like the idea of people being able to encrypt electronic
   communications so that they are beyond surveillance? Frankly, I found
   it scary even before Sept. 11 - precisely because of the threat of
   terrorism.

   It is said that there are no atheists in foxholes; perhaps there are
   no true libertarians in times of terrorist attacks.

   Even in the Declaration of Independence, the right to liberty is
   preceded by the right to life.