Politech mailing list archives

FC: Bush administration hopes to make computer crime a terrorist act

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:08:40 -0400

********

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:10:38 -0700
Subject: Fwd: terrorist -> computer use -> RICO
From: Faisal Jawdat <faisal () faisal com>
To: declan () well com

        I just sent this to Dave Farber.  Not sure if you'd seen it.

        -faisal

        SecurityFocus reports that the new anti-terrorism bill
        makes computer crime a terrorist act:

        http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257

        This is frightening.  Putting computer crime under the
        scope of RICO will allow the authorities to confiscate
        computer equipment for nothing more than a suspicion
        that it was used for computer crime.  If our experience
        with the drug war is any indication, the police will be
        able to use the fact that you had a computer as indicative
        of the fact that it was used in a computer crime.

        On top of that, we still don't have a good definition of
        computer crime, so a system administrator who installs a
        screensaver that their employer doesn't like could get
        life in prison with no possibility of parole.

        -faisal