Politech mailing list archives

FC: EPIC event in DC 10/22; ACM Lawler Award call for submissions

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:27:30 -0700

---

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:18:37 -0400
To: declan () well com
From: Sarah Andrews <andrews () epic org>
Subject: Event: Security or Surveillance?

Hi Declan,

Would you mind posting this announcement to your list.
Thanks,
Sarah.

ANNOUNCEMENT
National Press Club
Panel Discussion
October 22

                        Security or Surveillance?
                Technology's Impact After September 11

On October 22, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) and the
Privacy Foundation will sponsor a policy briefing at the National Press
Club in Washington to explore the implications of new systems for
identification and tracking on personal privacy.

Questions to be considered include the reliability of face recognition
technology, the limitations of national ID cards, and the role of
authentication and identification in computer networks and communication
services.

The speakers will include Privacy Foundation CTO Richard Smith, Privacy
Journal Editor Robert Ellis Smith, New Republic Legal Affairs Editor
Jeffrey Rosen, RAND Senior Policy Analyst John Woodward, and Sun
Distinguished Engineer Whitfield Diffie. The discussion will be
moderated by EPIC Executive Director Marc Rotenberg.

Registration 12:30 - 12:50. Panel begins 1 pm - 2:30 pm.

The event is open to the press and the public. Please contact EPIC
Research Director Sarah Andrews for further information.

EPIC is a public interest research center in Washington, D.C. It was
established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil
liberties issues and to protect privacy, the First Amendment, and
constitutional values.

The Privacy Foundation exists to educate the public, in part by
conducting research into communications technologies and services that
may pose a threat to personal privacy. The foundation will attempt to be
fair and objective in its research projects and public reports.

Both organizations provide extensive resources on emerging privacy
issues at their web sites -- www.epic.org and www.privacyfoundation.org.

Contact:

Sarah Andrews
EPIC Research Director