Politech mailing list archives

FC: Are terrorists using crypto and stego? Or is it just media hype?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:46:00 -0400

[In response to some questions I received: I've said in the past that we should assume for purposes of political debate that terrorists will use crypto and stego, because if they're not now, they eventually will. The Sep. 11 attackers were cunning, if nothing else. But there is a huge difference between expecting that terrorists will eventually go in this direction -- and accepting as fact vague and self-promoting reports that the 19 suicide-hijackers did. (This reminds me of the good ol'days when we didn't actually know if Nazis were online or not. This prompted Gerard Van der Leun to write a corollary to Godwin's law: "As global connectivity improves, the probability of actual Nazis being on the net approaches one." (http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/godwin.html) --DBM]

*********