Politech mailing list archives

FC: McAfee sides with FBI against customers on "Magic Lantern"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:01:19 -0500

Security software, including PGP and anti-virus ware, is either looking out for your interests or those of the government. It can't do both, and now we know where McAfee stands. I invite McAfee to reply; I will distribute any response unedited.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1436-2001Nov22.html
   At least one antivirus software company, McAfee Corp., contacted the
   FBI on Wednesday to ensure its software wouldn't inadvertently detect
   the bureau's snooping software and alert a criminal suspect.

http://www.politechbot.com/p-02822.html
"FBI reportedly creating "Magic Lantern" anti-crypto virus"

-Declan
[Below posts forwarded from Dave Farber's IP list]

---