Politech mailing list archives

FC: "Sucks" domain name must be awarded to company, WIPO panel says

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:14:58 -0500

This is an amazingly awful decision. It says that because non-English speakers might be confused by the "sucks" suffix on VIVENDIUNIVERSALSUCKS.COM, the domain name must be turned over to the company it criticizes:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-1121.html
the Panel has found that non-English speaking Internet users would be likely to attach no significance to the appended word 'sucks' and would therefore regard the disputed domain name as conveying an association with the Complainant

The WIPO panel goes so far as to insist that because the band Primus owns the domain name primussucks.com (named after their 1990 album "Suck on This"), prospective visitors to vivendi.com might get confused about who's who.

-Declan

---