Politech mailing list archives

FC: Responses to DOJ and Microsoft agree to settle antitrust case

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 11:52:11 -0500

Previous article:

"It's official: DOJ and Microsoft agree to settle antitrust case"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02741.html

*********

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:47:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Charles Platt <cp () panix com>
To: politech () politechbot com
Cc: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: FC: It's official: DOJ and Microsoft agree to settle antitrust case

The following message may be distributed with my name attached if you
wish.

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> just what did this lawsuit accomplish, beyond enriching lawyers,
> eating up tens of millions of tax dollars, and launching a flotilla of
> anklebiting private antitrust suits?

Declan, it accomplished a tremendous amount, all of it beneficial to the
federal government. First and most important, it reaffirmed the power of
the government. Before the Microsoft antitrust suit, Silicon Valley
entrepreneurs were acting as if they were immune from legislation. They
donated virtually nothing to political campaigns, and they shared a "screw
you" attitude toward DC. The Microsoft suit reminded everyone where the
real power is. I would expect considerably more expressions of humility
(bogus or otherwise) along with political contributions, in the future.
Regardless of the outcome of the suit, it demonstrated that the Justice
Department can impose such heavy legal costs, and can waste so much of a
company's time, anyone would be crazy to invite this kind of a major
hassle. Like a protection racket, anti-trust legislation warns companies
to behave themselves if they want to avoid being ruined. "Nice little
software business you have here. Be a shame if something happened to it."

The second accomplishment was to burst the bubble of "irrational
exuberance." The Microsoft suit marked the beginning of the end, in this
respect. It demonstrated that tech companies were not untouchable, not
immune from boring old realities of government and commerce. They could be
nibbled to death by financial pundits like anyone else, as well as being
harassed and threatened and sued into oblivion just like anyone else.

The major shifts in wealth, 2 to 3 years ago, must have caused alarm in
Washington, where people sincerely believe that they are the ones with the
real power, who run the country. They must have begun to feel--well,
potentially irrelevant.

And now--praise Allah!--they have terrorism to deal with. No matter that
their responses so far have been almost inconceivably incompetent: The
terrorist threat has made government seem necessary again. The focus of
attention has shifted from Silicon Valley back to Washington DC. The
military-industrial complex is singing "Happy days are here again" (sotto
voce, of course). And if this nasty little war slows progress in peaceful
uses of science (just as Vietnam pretty much killed the manned space
program), well, what could be better, from the point of view of
techno-illiterate federal legislators?

Microsoft is in the position of Winston Smith in 1984, after his period of
torture was complete. He could return to his everyday life and even have
liaisons with his former lover (contrary to state policy), because the
state had completed its punishment of him, had demonstrated its power, and
no longer had any interest in him. The exercise of power, purely for its
own sake, was the only point of the enterprise, according to Orwell.

Meanwhile, just as in 1984, we are now allying ourselves with our old
enemies (Russia, in particular) while vowing endless war against our old
friends (Bin Laden). Because, there is nothing better than war to distract
the population from private pleasurable goals and reorient everyone toward
Big Brother, who alone can protect us from the monsters he has created.

I hope this answers your question.

--Charles
*********