Politech mailing list archives

FC: Text of revised Microsoft antitrust settlement

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:49:23 -0500

I've put it online here:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/ms.revised.final.judgment.110601.pdf
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/ms.revised.stipulation.110601.pdf

Earlier draft of settlement:
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f9400/9462.htm

And you can forget any more talk of a breakup or structural changes:

http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,48198,00.html
One punishment that's apparently no longer being considered is a breakup or even a forcible reorganization of the world's most famous antitrust defendant. That's what now-deposed U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson had imposed last year. "No, I don't think so," [Iowa AG Tom] Miller said when asked whether the remaining states would recommend any kind of structural remedy.

Photos from Tuesday:
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/microsoft-states-settle-nov01.html

-Declan

-----------------------------------
STATEMENT OF IOWA ATTORNEY GENERAL TOM MILLER
Tuesday, November 6, 2001

The Microsoft plaintiff States reported to Judge Kollar-Kotelly this
afternoon, and I informed the Judge that Iowa cannot join in the settlement
today.  We have worked around the clock for many days.  Now I literally will
go home to Iowa and sleep on it, and give it the deliberation it still
deserves.  I don't rule out the possibility of settling with Microsoft, but I
want to be sure the settlement actually accomplishes what we hope it
accomplishes.  We made remarkable progress in recent days toward a
settlement that protects consumers and fair competition.  My reservation is
whether the settlement document itself faithfully and accurately executes
the settlement principles to which we agreed. We have worked on this case for years and spent countless hours in
painstaking negotiation.  We will live with any settlement for years, so I
will spend several more days reviewing it.  That is what is best for Iowa
consumers, for Iowa businesses and for fair competition.  The details of
this settlement will go a long way toward shaping the future of personal
computing and determining whether consumers enjoy the fruits of unfettered
competition and innovation in everything from photos to music, messaging to
commerce, and moving through the Internet. The States have undertaken an extraordinary and intense process of
examining the documents, consulting among one another, and negotiating with
Microsoft with the aid of the mediator.  I commend my Attorney General
colleagues and their staff members for sustaining superior effort and superb
collegiality and respect for one another.
# # #