Politech mailing list archives

FC: Univ of California officials reply to free speech case post

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:15:33 -0400

I invited university officials to reply. What they said is below, and I thank them for taking the time to respond.

Background on "disacknowledged" case:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=disacknowledged
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02046.html

-Declan

********

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:42:18 -0700
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: Charles Li <li () graddiv ucsb edu>
Subject: Re: More on student loses speech case against Univ of
  California

The University respects the First Amendment rights of any individual. In the case of Mr. Christopher Brown, he has the right to say, write and publish whatever he wishes.

The faculty of a university also has First Amendment rights, and the University must respect that also. In this case, the relevant First Amendment right of the faculty is their freedom to choose to endorse or not endorse any statements of another individual. In a thesis, the first page states that the thesis represents the partial fulfillment of the degree requirements and it is approved by the faculty committee that supervises the thesis. At the bottom of this first page, each member of the Thesis Committee signs his/her name. Signing this first page is tantamount to endorsing or approving the content of the thesis from cover to cover. Members of the Thesis Committee most exercise their judgement to decide whether or not they wish to endorse and approve the entire thesis from cover to cover.

The University as an institution, just like a publishing company, a television broadcasting company, has the First Amendment right of deciding whether or not it wishes to publish the writing of an individual. Making a thesis available to the public who requests and pays for it is publishing the thesis.

I have presented the First Amendment rights of three parties: an individual, a faculty member serving on a thesis committee, a university. None of these First Amendment rights can or should override the other.

Charles Li
Professor of Linguistics, Dean of Graduate Division
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
Tel: 805-893-2013               Fax: 805-893-8259

********