Politech mailing list archives

FC: Two AAAS events: Humanoid robots & AI, security standards

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:52:14 -0400

----

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:38:04 -0400
From: "Karin Sypura" <ksypura () aaas org>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: "Flesh & Machines" May 31 AAAS

Dear Mr. McCullagh,

The following presentation on Humanoid Robots and Artificial Intelligence might be of interest to the subscribers of your politech Listserv. If so please post.
Thank you,
Karin Sypura

May 31, 2001 Flesh & Machines

In his I, Robot series of short stories, Isaac Asimov recounted the "evolution" of robots from clearly non-humanoid to so-humanoid as to be indistinguishable from human beings. Today that science fiction is on the road to becoming science fact. This pair of lectures will explore the current state of development of robotics with particular reference to humanoid robots. They will consider the underlying philosophical assumptions that orient this research and development effort, its relation to the human future and its religious significance.

Keynote speaker

Dr. Rodney Brooks
Director & Fujitsu Professor, MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

Respondent

Dr. Noreen Herzfeld
Associate Professor of Computer Science, St. John's University

Event held at AAAS 1200 New York Ave, NW Washington DC 20005. The program will begin with a reception at 5:15 p.m. followed by the keynote address at 6:00 p.m. Free and open to the public. In order that we are able to accommodate all participants please RSVP in the affirmative to the following e-mail: doser-seminar () aaas org, including the number of guests (please use date of the event and RSVP in subject line).

Public Lecture Series, AAAS Program of Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion (DoSER)

Visit the SEMINAR MAIN PAGE at http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser/seminar/

For general information on the DoSER program please visit our HOME PAGE at http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser

Karin Sypura
Project Coordinator
Program of Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion
American Association for the Advancement of Science
http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser

----