Politech mailing list archives

FC: Groups demand online "public spaces" at 5/9 event in DC

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:58:04 -0400

[And a response at the end from our very own Lizard. --DBM]

********

Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:24:43 -0400
To: declan () well com
From: Jeff Chester <jeff () cme org>
Subject: another do-gooder event

You may want to let your list know about.  Best and thanks

The Future of Noncommercial Broadband Communications at Risk

Preserving the Internet's Openness, Freedom, and Diversity

Speakers include Rep. Ed Markey, FTC Commissioner Mozelle Thompson, Dave Farber, Lawrence Lessig, other experts

Dear Colleague:

The Center for Digital Democracy and the Center for Media Education cordially invites you to participate in a conference on the future of the Internet in the broadband era on Wednesday, 9 May 2001, at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington DC). The Net is at an important crossroads, and we may soon lose meaningful access to this new medium. Such a development will negatively impact our civil liberties, limit diversity of information and ownership, harm our ability to inform and advocate online, and restrict competition. The public interest broadband conference will describe how the media industry giants are restructuring the digital media system, fashioning a system that extends their control over the media beyond television to the Internet. Instead of an open network, media conglomerates are spending billions to create what they call "walled gardens," but which are really new forms of electronic enclosures designed to ensure that they will continue to dominate the media system. Unless they act soon, nonprofit organizations will find it difficult to operate in an online environment that favors big business over small, e-commerce over e-democracy, and public relations over public service. That's why it's important to begin exploring new means of collective action in the online world, new ways of preserving space for noncommercial, public-interest programming, and for directing traffic to the sources of information and interactivity that will prove vital to our society in the twenty-first century. Additional speakers will include: Dr. Patricia Aufderheide, American University, Timothy Denton, attorney, Canadian Association of Internet Providers, Stewart Harris, Public Webworks, Stephen Heins, Northnet, and Barry Steinheart, ACLU. Please join us in discussing these important issues, and in exploring further collaboration in the broadband era:

9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington D.C. 20036-2103
RSVP: 202-232-2872
Agoldman () cme org
Seating is limited.
Lunch will be provided

The conference is made possible through the generous support of the Center for the Public Domain, the Albert A. List Foundation, and the J. Roderick MacArthur Foundation.

*********