Politech mailing list archives

FC: TiVo accused of privacy violations; more on "SpyTV" debate

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:01:27 -0500

The Privacy Foundation folks today accused TiVo of transmitting dozens of pages of user viewing information a day to corporate HQ:
http://www.privacyfoundation.org/privacywatch/report.asp?id=62&action=0

TiVo responds:
http://www.tivo.com/privacy_response.html

News coverage:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/tivo032601.htm

-Declan

************

To: declan () well com, jet () well com
Subject: Re: FC: Response to SpyTV, interactive television, and free software
From: corbet () lwn net (Jonathan Corbet)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:12:13 -0700

> TiVo is based on open software (linux) and TiVo, Inc. has relased its
> changes under the GPL.
>
> TiVo has also published it's privacy practices and policies on its
> website.
>
> Maybe rms needs to learn to read before slagging people?

TiVo has released its Linux kernel changes, as required by the GPL.  The
company has *not* released the source of any of its application-level
software, though.  That software is what makes the difference between a
TiVo box and a normal PC, and is where any sorts of "interesting" behavior
could be implemented.  Including behavior like that described in the book,
where information is not reported back to a central server.  Quite a bit of
manipulative behavior could take place without necessarily violating
privacy guidelines.

Basing things on Linux is a good start, but does not really solve the
problem.  I preached on this a bit on the LWN.net front page this week.
The whole system needs to be open before you can trust it.

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet () lwn net