Politech mailing list archives

FC: Response to Microsoft database review, Cringely, and N.World

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:34:27 -0800

**********
A response to:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01797.html
**********

From: Adam Gaffin <AGaffin () nww com>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>
Subject: About Microsoft, Cringely and Network World
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:14:17 -0500

Hi! That Cringely item you reposted on politiech is, unfortunately, wrong.
Here's a copy of the  note Christine Burns, director of our Global Test
Alliance, has been sending out:

Thank you for contacting Network World in an attempt to verify the facts
behind this story.  We can only wish that Mr. Cringely had attempted to do
the same before he ran his column
(http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/03/05/010305opcringely.xml) in
this week's issue of InfoWorld so that we could have avoided having these
inaccuracies circulated.  You will not find the test results mentioned in
Mr. Cringely's column on the Network World site because the independent test
lab featured in the InfoWorld article refused to give them to Network World
once Microsoft started threatening him with a lawsuit if he shared them with
any publishing organization.

For the record, Network World did not commission this independent testing
lab to run these tests comparing Windows 2000 performance to Windows NT
performance.  Rather, a news reporter who was researching a story on similar
numbers produced in an report by Tolly Research (www.tollyresearch.com),
happened to call this second lab director as a news source to see if he had
ever reached similar results.  It was the lab director who then offered to
run the tests on his own accord that afternoon.  When Microsoft started
giving the lab director heat about the results and how he used SQL Server
softwre to conduct the test against the standard licensing contract, it was
the lab director -- and not Network World --  who pulled back the results.
Network World has yet to publish the results as the lab director has not
made them available. If this testing had been part and parcel of Network
World's official testing program, we would have been intimately involved
with setting the test methodology so that Microsoft would not have had this
legal loophole to sneak through and therefore we would have stood behind the
results regardless of the Microsoft threats.

Please let me know if you any further questions on this matter.

-- Adam

Adam Gaffin
Executive Editor, Network World Fusion
agaffin () nww com / (508) 490-6433 - http://www.nwfusion.com
"I programmed my robotic dog to bite the guy who delivers the electronic
mail." -- Kibo